Share your sounds and win a pair of Sennheiser headphones
The audiobook of Ben Master’s Noughties is out now & not like anything you’ve ever heard before. Read by Joe Thomas (The Inbetweeners and Fresh Meat) and enhanced with our sounds of university, the audiobook is a journey through one student’s final night of debauchery.
To celebrate its release, Penguin and SoundCloud have teamed up to run an audio competition to capture your sounds of university. What does university sound like to you? Clinking glasses, fruit machines and deafening dance music? Whistles, shouting and changing room banter? Or perhaps it’s lectures, chats and seminars?
—Whatever it is, we want to hear it.
Your sounds will be added to the Sounds of Uni set on the Penguin Books UK SoundCloud profile page, where all our SoundCloud followers will be able to ‘favourite’ the tracks. The top 5 sounds will then be left in the hands and ears of Glen Gathard, a leading Sound Designer from Pinewood Film Studios, where he will pick the winner and runners-up.
The winner will receive a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II headphones and 2 runners-up will receive a selection of Penguin titles and a copy of Noughties signed by the author, Ben Masters.
how to enter
Step 1 of 4
To enter, record your sounds using any recorder you have to hand. Or if you have a smartphone, the SoundCloud app allows you to record your sounds straight onto your own SoundCloud profile.
Step 2 of 4
Once you have your sounds saved, upload them straight into our dropbox on SoundCloud or email us.
Step 3 of 4
Fill in your details (name, email address, date of birth, university) in the description field and don’t forget to add the hashtag #soundsofuni in the title and tags section.
1. No purchase necessary to enter the competition.
2. This competition is open to UK residents aged 18 years or over, with the exception of employees of the Promoter, their families, agents and anyone else connected with this promotion.
3. Entries must be received by midday on 9th November. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach the Promoter by the relevant closing date for any reason. Proof of posting or sending is not proof of receipt. Entries via agents or third parties are invalid. Entries become the property of the Promoter and are not returned.
4. Only one entry per person. No entrant may win more than one prize.
5. To enter record a short audio clip, up to five minutes in length, of your ‘sounds of university’. Then upload your entry into the Penguin Books Soundcloud dropbox – fill in your name, email address, university and date of birth in the ‘Description’ field and include the hashtag #soundsofuni in the ‘Title’. Entries submitted electronically must be in an appropriate audio format (i.e. wav, mp3, etc.).
6. All entries will be hosted on a set on our SoundCloud profile page and our SoundCloud followers will ‘favourite’ the entries. The top 5 ‘favourited’ entries will then be forwarded to the judge, Glen Gathard, a leading Sound Designer at Pinewood Film Studios. The winner will be the entry that in the opinion of the judge best captures the university experience.
7. The prize for the winner is a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1-ii headphones.
8. Two runners up will each receive a selection of Penguin titles and signed copy of Noughties by Ben Masters each.
9. Prizes are subject to availability. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the Promoter reserves the right (a) to substitute alternative prizes of equivalent or greater value and (b) in exceptional circumstances to amend or foreclose the promotion without notice. No correspondence will be entered into.
10. The winner will be notified via email or post by 30th November. The winner must claim their prize within 14 working days of the Promoter sending notification. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules.
11. By entering this competition each entrant confirms that his/her entry is their wholly-owned creation and to the extent that such entry makes use of any third party materials that these have been fully cleared unless they are no longer protected by copyright or other intellectual property rights. Entrants will keep the Promoter harmless from any claims in relation to their entry that the entry infringes the personal or proprietary right of any other person. By submitting an entry, each entrant (or their parent/guardian on their behalf) grants to the Promoter a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to edit, publish, translate, modify, adapt, make available and distribute the entry throughout the world in any media now known or hereafter invented. Each entrant (or their parent/guardian on their behalf) undertakes to complete any necessary documentation to formalise the licence. If you do not want to grant us these rights, please do not submit materials to us.
12. To obtain details of the winner please email editor(at)uk.penguingroup.com stating the name of the competition in the subject heading 4 weeks after the closing date.
13. The Promoter will use any data submitted by entrants only for the purposes of running the competition, unless otherwise stated in the entry details. By entering this competition, all entrants consent to the use of their personal data by the Promoter for the purposes of the administration of this competition and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented.
14. The winners agree to take part in reasonable post event publicity and to the use of their names and photographs in such publicity.
15. By entering the competition each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
16. The Promoter is Penguin Books Limited, 80 Strand, London WC2R 0RL.