1. DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES
The closing date for entries is 12 noon (British Summer Time) on Tuesday, 9 April 2013.
This site will accept entries from Wednesday, 16 January 2013.
To be eligible for the 2013 competition, you must be a student on any year of an Art or Design course at HND or degree level or an MA student. The competition is not open to students on an Art Foundation course.
We advise entrants that ideally they should have a reasonable standard of English so that, if they win the first prize, they are able to get the most out of their work placement.
There can be only one named entrant per entry.
Entrants may enter one design to either the Penguin Adult Prize or the Puffin Children's Prize or both. You may not enter more than one design for each category.
All entries must be supplied digitally via a link which will be available on this site from Wednesday, 16 January 2013. Entries submitted in any other way, including by email or hard copy, will not be accepted.
Entries must be supplied as a high resolution PDF, 300 dpi, CMYK.
5. TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
Closing date for receipt of all entries is 12 noon (B.S.T.) on Tuesday, 9 April 2013.
- No purchase necessary to enter the competition.
- This competition is open to students of any year of an Art or Design course at HND or degree level and to MA students. This competition is not open to students on an Art Foundation course or employees of Penguin, their families, agents and anyone else connected with this competition.
- No responsibility can be accepted for incorrectly uploaded entries. Entries via agents or third parties are invalid.
- All correctly completed entries will be forwarded to a judging panel made up of the Penguin Art Directors, the Penguin General Managing Director and guest judges for the Penguin Adult Prize and the Penguin Children's Art Director, Penguin Children's Managing Director and guest judges for the Puffin Children's Prize, who will select a shortlist of entries for each category.
- The shortlist will be announced on this website by 3 May 2013.
- The shortlisted entrants will be notified in writing by 3 May 2013 and invited to resubmit their entry following feedback and further art direction from the Penguin/Puffin Art Directors. The closing date for the shortlisted entrants' resubmissions is 17 May 2013.
- Shortlisted entrants will be required to provide the following submissions for each design entry:
a) An A3 board showing the full jacket to scale 1:1.
b) The design mocked-up on a book (which Penguin will supply).
c) A short, typewritten text (max. 50—100 words only) submitted as a Word document, explaining the concept for your design.
d) An A3 board demonstrating the development of the thought process from the original research to the final concept.
e) A high resolution PDF and Jpeg of the front cover only and full cover design without trim marks on CD.
f) The sender must prepay all shipping costs, insurance, customs duties and handling fees for all entries.
- Entries will not be returned to entrants and the Promoter accepts no responsibility for the loss of or damage to any portfolios or other cases in which shortlisted entrants send their resubmissions.
- A first-, second- and third-prize winner will be selected for both the Penguin Adult Prize and the Puffin Children's Prize. The winning designs will be the ones which, in the opinion of the judges, best fulfil the brief.
- The first-prize winner of the Penguin Adult Prize will receive a four-week work placement in the Penguin Design Studio and a cash prize of £1,000. The first-prize winner of the Puffin Children's Prize will receive a four-week work placement in the Puffin Design Studio and a cash prize of £1,000. Both work placements will take place within one year of the announcement of the prize winners on dates to be mutually agreed between the Promoter and the winners. The second-prize winners of the Penguin Adult Prize and Puffin Children's Prize will each receive a cash prize of £350. The third-prize winners of the Penguin Adult Prize and Puffin Children's Prize will each receive a cash prize of £250.
- The prizes are non-transferable and no cash alternative will be offered to the first-prize winners. However, if, at the sole discretion of the judges, none of the entries in either or both categories is of a sufficiently high standard to merit the awards, no prizes, or only second and third prizes, may be awarded.
- The winners will be announced at the awards ceremony in London in June 2013. The winners' details will be made available after the awards ceremony on this website. With the exception of entry to the event itself, all travel, accommodation and other costs associated with the shortlisted students attending the awards ceremony are the sole responsibility of the shortlisted students.
- Events may occur that render the design competition itself or the awarding of the prizes impossible due to reasons beyond the control of Penguin. Penguin may, at its absolute discretion, vary or amend the promotion and the winners agree that, in such event, no liability shall attach itself to Penguin, provided that any prize shall not be of lesser value than the one advertised.
- The decision of the judges is final and correspondence will be entered into only at the absolute discretion of Penguin.
- The winners agree to take part in reasonable post-event publicity and to the use of their names and photographs in such publicity.
- All entrants hereby license to Penguin the use of their entry for display on any Penguin-owned website and for display in a physical exhibition. Appropriate credits will be given to each item displayed, but Penguin shall not be under an obligation to hold such exhibitions, or to include every entry if it does. Each entrant warrants to Penguin that his/her entry is original, and made without the inclusion of material owned by any third party.
- Penguin will use any data submitted by entrants only for the purposes of running the competition, unless otherwise stated in the entry details. By entering this competition, all entrants consent to the use of their personal data by Penguin for the purposes of the administration of this competition and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented.
- By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to these terms and conditions.
- Promoter: Penguin Books Ltd, 80 Strand, London WC2R 0RL.
Write to us at:
Penguin Design Award
Email us at: email@example.com