1. Carefully punch a hole in the centre of the bottom of the cup, large enough for the string to fit through.
2. Tie one end of the string to the middle of the skewer.
3. Push the other end of the string through the hole from the outside of the cup and pull it through the centre of the cup.
4. Fold a paper towel into quarters, then dip it into the water and squeeze out any excess.
5. Holding the cup firmly in one hand, wrap the damp paper towel around the string, close to the mouth of the cup.
6. Squeeze the string with the paper towel and pull down, using short jerks, so that the paper towel slides down the string.
7. Listen carefully and each jerk motion should sound like the cluck of a chicken.