On July 31st, 1917 a battle began which would see more than 500,000 men killed. The climax was one of the worst conflicts of both world wars: Passchendaele. The village fell eventually, only for the whole offensive to be called off making the huge loss of life seemingly pointless.
Based upon previously overlooked archive material and full of first person testimony that uniquely tells the story from both sides, Nick Lloyd reveals that the battle was far from futile in his book Passchendaele: A New History.
July 31st, 2017 marks the 100 year anniversary of Passchendaele. To commemorate this significant moment in World War One, we’re offering history buffs the opportunity to visit the battle site, journeying along the French Western Front and into Belgium with Arena Travel.
Competition closes 11:59 pm on August 6th 2017.
For your chance to win, simply enter your details below:
Terms and conditions
- No purchase necessary to enter the prize draw.
- This promotion is open to residents of the United Kingdom, aged 18 years or over. Employees of Promoter, its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates (including but not limited to Dorling Kindersley Ltd., Penguin Books Ltd., and the Random House Group Limited) or any other parties that are involved in the development, production, or distribution of this prize draw in any way, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, children) and household members of each such employee and/or authors, are not eligible to participate in the Promotion.
- Entries must be received by 11:59 pm on 6th August 2017. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach the Promoter by the relevant closing date for any reason. Proof of posting or sending is not proof of receipt. Automatically generated entries and entries via agents or third parties are invalid and shall not be considered. Entries become the property of the Promoter and are not returned.
- Only one entry per person. No entrant may win more than one prize.
- All correctly completed entries will be entered into a prize draw, which will take place on 6th August. The first entry drawn will be the winner.
- A voucher will be presented to the winner of the competition for the winner to present at the time of booking the cruise.
- The voucher be used in part payment for the Battlefields & Stories of the Great War Cruise departing 27 April to be booked by the prize winner.
- Prizes are subject to availability. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the Promoter reserves the right (a) to substitute alternative prizes of equivalent or greater value and (b) in exceptional circumstances to amend or foreclose the promotion without notice. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner will be notified via email or post by 13th August 2017. The winner must claim their prize within 30 working days of the Promoter sending notification. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules.
- To obtain details of the winner please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating the name of the prize draw in the subject heading 4 weeks after the closing date.
- This prize voucher/credit is not be transferable.
- The prize has no cash redemption value and
- The prize winner must travel on holiday booked when using the prize credit.
- By entering the competition you agree that your details may be used to keep you informed about the competition, products and news from the Arena Travel group
- The winners agree to take part in reasonable post event publicity and to the use of their names and photographs in such publicity.
- Promoter may disqualify any entrant whose entry does not comply with these terms and conditions (in Promoter’s sole opinion) or who, in Promoter’s sole determination, has acted in a manner that is fraudulent, dishonest or unjust to other entrants including, without limitation, tampering with the operation of the prize draw, manipulating or rigging votes, hacking, deceiving, cheating or by harassing or threatening other entrants or a representative of Promoter.
- By entering the prize draw each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The Promoter is Penguin Books Limited, 80 Strand, London WC2R 0RL.
- These terms and conditions are governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.