Curated by Man Booker prize winning author Penelope Lively and Royal Society of Literature fellow, Kamila Shamsie, the series champions four forgotten classics by female authors which Penelope and Kamila felt deserve to be better known in the UK.
Martha Rich is the Philadelphia based artist behind the striking covers of the series. Her work has been used in music videos, magazines, for book covers and more and she has shown her paintings in galleries across the US and internationally. To mark the 100th anniversary of women getting the vote in Britain, she has created this original piece with a message that perfectly summarizes the female suffrage movement, ‘Shhh it’s my time to talk.’
Along with the framed artwork, we’ll be giving away a set of the books to one lucky winner. Competition closes Sunday, 18th March 2018. Terms and conditions apply.
To be in with a chance with winning, simply enter your details below. Good luck!
This competition has now closed.
You might like
Terms and conditions
- No purchase necessary to enter the prize draw.
- This promotion is open to residents of the United Kingdom, aged 18 years or over. Employees of Promoter, its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates (including but not limited to Dorling Kindersley Ltd., Penguin Books Ltd., and the Random House Group Limited) or any other parties that are involved in the development, production, or distribution of this prize draw in any way, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, children) and household members of each such employee and/or authors, are not eligible to participate in the Promotion.
- Entries must be received by 11:59 pm on 18th March 2018. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach the Promoter by the relevant closing date for any reason. Proof of posting or sending is not proof of receipt. Automatically generated entries and entries via agents or third parties are invalid and shall not be considered. Entries become the property of the Promoter and are not returned.
- Only one entry per person. No entrant may win more than one prize.
- All correctly completed entries will be entered into a prize draw, which will take place on Monday, 19th March. The first entry drawn will be the winner.
- The prize for the winner is one original artwork from Martha Rich, as pictured, one set of the Penguin Women Writers series which includes: The Lark by E. Nesbit, Birds of America by Mary McCarthy, Meatless Days by Sara Suleri, Lifting the Veil by Ismat Chughtai
- Prizes are subject to availability. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the Promoter reserves the right (a) to substitute alternative prizes of equivalent or greater value and (b) in exceptional circumstances to amend or foreclose the promotion without notice. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner will be notified via email or post by 26th March 2018. The winner must claim their prize within 30 working days of the Promoter sending notification. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules.
- To obtain details of the winner please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating the name of the prize draw in the subject heading 4 weeks after the closing date.
- The Promoter will use any data submitted by entrants only for the purposes of running the prize draw, unless otherwise stated in the entry details. By entering this prize draw, all entrants consent to the use of their personal data by the Promoter for the purposes of the administration of this prize draw and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented.
- The winners agree to take part in reasonable post event publicity and to the use of their names and photographs in such publicity.
- Promoter may disqualify any entrant whose entry does not comply with these terms and conditions (in Promoter’s sole opinion) or who, in Promoter’s sole determination, has acted in a manner that is fraudulent, dishonest or unjust to other entrants including, without limitation, tampering with the operation of the prize draw, manipulating or rigging votes, hacking, deceiving, cheating or by harassing or threatening other entrants or a representative of Promoter.
- By entering the prize draw each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The Promoter is Penguin Books Limited, 80 Strand, London WC2R 0RL.
- These terms and conditions are governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.