1. Origin is the fifth book to feature Robert Langdon, a Harvard professor of symbology and religious iconography. Symbology is a fictional academic discipline created by Dan Brown. The closest real life disciplines would be iconography, cryptography or semiotics.
2. The book is primarily set in Spain, a country rich in history, art and religion - the perfect starting point for a Robert Langdon adventure.
3. This will be the first Robert Langdon thriller to feature modern art; it opens in the Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao. Brown’s previous thrillers have all centred around classical art.
4. The character of Robert Langdon was named after John Langdon, a professor of typography who is known for his complex ambigrams, which play a starring role in Angels and Demons.
5. The paradoxical interplay between science and religion is central to the plot of Origin. This is a topic that's always fascinated Dan - perhaps not surprisingly for the son of a church organist and a maths teacher!
Sign up to hear more about Dan Brown
More about the author