President Bill Clinton and bestselling author James Patterson have teamed up to write the thriller of the year. It's all top secret, of course, but here's a quick peek behind the scenes...
1. The President is Missing is the story of a sitting president who disappears during an international crisis. What follows is the most dangerous, dramatic three days in American history.
2. Written by President Bill Clinton and global thriller master James Patterson, The President is Missing is an incredibly unique writing collaboration. James Patterson has sold over 375 million books worldwide, whereas Clinton has written four non-fiction books. The President is Missing is his first novel (and the first time an American president has co-authored a thriller) – although he holds a healthy 2-0 lead over Patterson when it comes to victories in presidential elections.
3. Bill Clinton was able to draw on his experience to help shape the story. As Clinton says, ‘every once in a while, as we were writing or discussing a particular twist, I’d suggest something that Jim thought was a bit far-fetched. And I could see why he’d think so, but I’d tell him: “knowing what I know, Jim, this could actually happen.”
4. With hidden sub-basements and secret passages, the White House is the perfect setting for a thriller – and with details drawn from Bill Clinton’s knowledge of the iconic building, you will truly feel immersed.
5. Patterson describes the novel as ‘full of twists and turns – kind of like being President’. Clinton’s response? ‘Jim, you have no idea!’
6. The President is Missing will be adapted for television screens and is set to be a major television event. Get your fantasy cast at the ready.
The President is Missing is published on 4 June 2018 and is available to pre-order now.
More about the author
‘The dream team delivers big time … Clinton’s insider secrets and Patterson’s storytelling genius make this the political thriller of the decade.’ – Lee Child
The President is Missing. The world is in shock.
But the reason he’s missing is much worse than anyone can imagine.
With details only a President could know, and the kind of suspense only James Patterson can deliver.
‘A bullet train of a thriller. The Day of the Jackal for the twenty-first century.’ – A.J. Finn, author of The Woman in the Window
'This book moves like Air Force One. Big and fast.' – Michael Connelly, author of the Harry Bosch series
'The President Is Missing is a big, splashy juggernaut of a novel, combining thrills with a truly authentic look at the inner happenings in Washington. I read it in one gulp. You will too.' – Harlan Coben, #1 bestselling author of Don’t Let Go
‘Yes, The President is Missing is fiction – it’s a thriller – but James Patterson and I have come up with three of the most frightening days in the history of the presidency. And it could really happen... These days, the seemingly impossible can happen. And it happens so fast. I believe that readers will not soon forget President Jonathan Duncan and his story.’ – Bill Clinton
‘Needless to say, we had some great conversations about the presidency, what life in Washington is really like, and about the state of America and the rest of the world.’ – James Patterson
‘I felt like I was right along with the characters for the shocking twists and turns you’ll never guess are coming. Patterson and Clinton have created a truly unique character in their ‘missing’ President. The President is Missing puts the listener inside the White House and inside the mind of a President grappling with extraordinary circumstances.’ – Dennis Quaid on the audiobook of The President is Missing
'Relentless in its plotting and honest in its examination of issues that strike close to our hearts.' – Jeffery Deaver
'A first-rate collaboration from a couple of real pros! Engrossing from page one.' – David Baldacci
'vivid, engrossing – and authentically frightening.' – Carl Hiaasen, author of Razor Girl
'The President is Missing is more than a thriller – it's a skeleton key that lets you inside the head of a U.S. president.' – Brad Meltzer, author of The Escape Artist
'From the pens of two American icons comes a political thriller that rocks... a helluva story.' – Nelson DeMille, author of The Cuban Affair
'The President Is Missing is heart-pounding, gripping, terrifying... a genuinely masterful thriller. My knuckles are still white!' – Louise Penny, #1 bestselling author of Glass Houses
'Marry the political savvy of Bill Clinton with the craftsmanship of James Patterson and you get a fabulously entertaining thriller that is meticulous in its portrayal of Washington politics, gripping in its pacing, and harrowing in its depiction of the perils of cyberwarfare.' – Ron Chernow, #1 bestselling and Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Alexander Hamilton and Grant
'Compelling from page one. A fantastic read!' – Mary Higgins Clark, #1 bestselling author of I’ve Got My Eyes on You