We're excited to announce a new novel from Markus Zusak, author of the bestselling The Book Thief. Here's what you need to know...
1. Bridge of Clay is Markus’s first novel in the twelve years since The Book Thief, which was a Sunday Times and New York Times bestseller, winner of the Independent Book Award and many other prizes worldwide. This is Zusak's first book for adults.
2. It stars five orphaned boys living in a house with no rules (and no adults), but plenty of animals, including a mule named Achilles, Telemachus the budgie, Agamemnon the goldfish, also a cat and a dog.
3. It is narrated by the eldest of the five brothers. As with The Book Thief, the narrative voice is striking, oozing with warmth and often sarcastic. It is a story told backwards and inside out.
4. This book features obsessions with piano playing, long-distance running, Homer’s Odyssey (which the grandparents, the parents, and now the boys read obsessively) and Michelangelo’s art, especially the statue of David.
5. Bridge of Clay will be available to buy on the 11th October 2018, so clear your reading pile and enjoy.
More about the author
Loved THE BOOK THIEF? take a look at this!
Ten years in the making the epic new novel from the acclaimed, prize-winning, bestselling author of THE BOOK THIEF
Here is a story told inside out and back to front:
The five Dunbar brothers are living with their menagerie of animals in the perfect chaos of a house without grownups. Today, the father who walked out on them long ago is about to walk right back in.
And so the life of Clay, the quiet one with a harrowing secret, is about to change forever.
From a grandfather, whose passion for the ancient Greeks still lights up their lives, to a mother and father who fell in love over a mislaid piano, to the present day, where five sons co-exist in a house with no rules, BRIDGE OF CLAY is an sweeping portrait of how a ramshackle family, held together by stories and by love, come to unbury one boy’s tragic secret.
This tale of a young life caught in a current - a life in search of greatness and the cure for a painful past - is as intense, inspiring and ambitious as only Markus Zusak can be.
Markus Zusak's epic new novel BRIDGE OF CLAY is due out this October 2018