The extraordinary real stories that inspired the major BBC series
Have you ever illegally downloaded a DVD? Taken drugs? Fallen for a phishing scam?
Organised crime is part of all our worlds - often without us even knowing. McMafia is a journey through the new world of international organised crime, from gunrunners in Ukraine to money launderers in Dubai, by way of drug syndicates in Canada and cyber criminals in Brazil.
This edition comes with a new introduction and epilogue from author Misha Glenny.
'Breaking Bad meets City of God' Roberto Saviano, author of Gomorrah
This is the story of an ordinary man who became the king of the largest slum in Rio, the head of a drug cartel and Brazil’s most notorious criminal.
A man who tried to bring welfare and justice to a playground of gang culture and destitution, while everyone around him drew guns and partied.
It’s a story of gold-hunters and evangelical pastors, bent police and rich-kid addicts, politicians and drug lords and the battle for the beautiful but damned city of Rio.
MOST WANTED CRIMINAL.
We live our lives online – banking, shopping, working, dating – but have we become complacent?
Who's got your money?
We share our personal details, our thoughts and movements with a faceless screen, with no real idea what lies behind it.
Who's got your identity?
DarkMarket exposes the shocking truth about what lurks behind our computers: an underground crime network that invades our privacy and threatens our security on a daily basis.
Who's got your life?
Glenny tracks down the key players – including criminals, national and international security experts, police, crack addicts, the Saudi Royal Family, and most importantly, victims – to reveal the true scale of this new global threat.
Shortlisted for the Orwell Prize 2012
In DarkMarket: CyberThieves, CyberCops and You, Misha Glenny plunged into the murky depths of the world's most notorious carder fraud site, DarkMarket. In this exclusive short eBook, he takes you even deeper into that world.
In the realm of the cyberthief, your best friend can be your worst enemy, or worse still, undercover law enforcement. DarkerMarket follows the trail of the most elusive cyberthief of all, Lord Cyric. In doing so, Glenny unveils some of his investigative methods, explores new lines of inquiry and tries to untangle the web at the black heart of the internet. A specially written adjunct to DarkMarket, this ebook delves further into the most compelling crime story of the year.
* The benefits of living in a digital, globalised society are enormous; so too are the dangers.
* The world has become a law enforcer's nightmare and every criminal's dream. We bank online, shop online, date, learn, work and live online. But have the institutions that keep us safe on the streets learned to protect us in the burgeoning digital world? Have we become complacent about our personal security - sharing our thoughts, beliefs and the details of our daily lives with anyone who cares to relieve us of them?
* In this fascinating and compelling book, Misha Glenny, author of the international bestseller McMafia, explores the three fundamental threats facing us in the 21st century: cyber crime, cyber warfare and cyber industrial espionage. Governments and the private sector are losing billions of dollars each year, fighting an ever-morphing, often invisible, often super-smart new breed of criminal: the hacker.
* Glenny has travelled and trawled the world. And by exploring the rise and fall of the criminal website, DarkMarket, he has uncovered the most vivid, alarming and illuminating stories. Whether JiLsi or Matrix, Iceman, Master Splynter or Lord Cyric; whether Detective Sergeant Chris Dawson in Scunthorpe or Agent Keith Mularski in Pittsburgh, Glenny has tracked down and interviewed all the players - the criminals, the geeks, the police, the security experts and the victims - and he places everyone and everything in a rich brew of politics, economics and history.
* The result is simply unputdownable. DarkMarket is authoritative and completely engrossing. It's a must-read for everyone who uses a computer: the essential crime book for our times.
In this powerful account, Misha Glenny takes us on a journey through the new world of international organised crime. He has travelled throughout the world - from Japan to China to Brazil to the USA and has spoken to countless gangsters, policemen and victims of organised crime while also exploring the ferocious consumer demand for drugs, trafficked women, illegal labour and arms across five continents.
McMafia Brain Shot focuses on cybercrime in Brazil and people trafficking from China to Brazil, the UK and Europe and unpicks the nexus of crime, politics and money worldwide which have become entangled and interdependent in entirely novel forms since the 1980s. It argues that conventional policing methods are no longer appropriate to deal with a problem whose roots lie in global poverty and the ever widening divisions between rich and poor.
BRAIN SHOTS: The byte-sized account of international crime and globalisation's dark side
Glenny is a distinguished investigative journalist and historian. As the Central Europe Correspondent first for the Guardian and then for the BBC, Glenny chronicled the collapse of communism and the wars in the former Yugoslavia. He has won several major awards for his work, including the Sony Gold Award for outstanding contribution to broadcasting and is the author of five books, including the acclaimed McMafia and DarkMarket.