At Ebury we have a boutique fiction list - publishing commercial fiction under Ebury Press and a handful of mainstream novels with a speculative edge on our Del Rey list. We’re home to Sunday Times bestselling authors such as Caitlin Moran, Rowan Coleman and Andy Weir, as well as up and coming talents like Riley Sager, Katherine Arden and John Marrs. Whether it’s big stories, beautifully told or dark literary fairytales, we’re all about story and character here at Ebury and love working with talented writers to bring them to the widest possible audience.
This open submissions period is a chance for unagented authors to get their manuscript to us.
If you have an agent, please do not submit to us direct during this open submissions period. Ask your agent to send us your manuscript via the usual channels.
If you would like to submit a previously self-published novel, please let us know in your covering email that it was previously self-published.
Please note that submissions are open to writers from around the world, you do not have to be based in the UK.
What we’re currently looking for:
- Commercial fiction – predominantly aimed at female readership, from romantic comedies to epic love stories, sagas and seasonal escapist reads
- Bookclub – uplifting upmarket stories and books that get readers talking
- Crime Thrillers – dark psychological suspense and high concept thrillers
- For our Del Rey list we are looking for books that appeal to a wide readership that happen to have something otherworldly about them whether that is a magical fairytale or an adventure thriller set in space or a crime novel with a futuristic edge
Unfortunately we don’t accept:
- Short stories
- Children’s fiction or Young Adult
- Regency Romance
- Genre Sci Fi/Fantasy
How to submit to us:
The submissions period will open from 12 October until the 31 December. Please send us your submission with the subject line ‘TITLE OF BOOK – your name’ to: email@example.com
Your submission should consist of three parts:
1. A covering email including:
- Your name
- Your contact information
- The title of your novel and a brief pitch for it including why we should we publish it
- The word count of your full manuscript
- A little bit about yourself including any previous writing experience
2. A synopsis of your whole novel including the ending. This must be no more than two pages long.
3. The first three chapters of your novel. (You do not have to have finished your novel to submit to us as long as you have a clear enough idea of where it is going to write a synopsis.)
A note on formatting:
- Please send your documents as Microsoft Word formatted documents only. Both .doc and .docx are fine
- Please ensure pages are numbered
What to expect from us:
We will read through every submission that we receive and will make every effort to get back to you within eight weeks to let you know our decision. Please note we are unable to provide detailed feedback on novels that are not suitable for our lists.