Love takes place over one evening, as friends Davy and Joe, now married and with grown-up children, swap life stories. Joe has a secret he has to tell Davy, and Davy, a grief he wants to keep from Joe. Both are not the men they used to be.
Neither Davy nor Joe know what the night has in store, but as two pints turns to three, then five, and the men set out to revisit the haunts of their youth, the ghosts of Dublin entwine around them.
In a locked down world where pubs are inaccessible to many, it's a tribute to the places that often play host to the conversations that shape our lives.
Beer52 was set up to explore the best craft beer the world has to offer. Each month, subscribers receive beers from a different country, together with a copy of Ferment, Beer52's own magazine that tells the story behind each beer and its producer.
Competition closes 23.59 pm on 8 November 2020. UK and Republic of Ireland only. You must be 18 or over to enter. Full terms and conditions are below.
The competition has now closed and the winner has been notified. If it wasn't you, never fear! Beer52 are also offering a free first case to all new subscribers (plus £5.95 postage). Visit beer52.com/roddy to sign up before 22 November 2020.
Terms and conditions
- By entering this free prize draw, you agree to accept and be bound by these terms and conditions. All entry instructions form part of the terms & conditions of this prize draw.
- Entrants must be 18 or over and resident in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
- This free prize draw is open to anyone aged 16 or over who is a resident of the UK, except for employees of The Random House Group Limited (promoter), its subsidiary companies, their families and any other company connected with the prize draw.
- Entries must be received by 8 November 2020, 23.59 pm. Entries that are illegible, incomplete, corrupted or which fail to be received by the closing date for any reason, will not be counted. The promoter is not responsible for entries delayed or lost in the post. Automatically generated entries or entries via agents or third parties are invalid and shall not be counted. Entries shall not be returned.
- Only one entry per person. No entrant may win more than one prize.
- To enter, fill in your personal details on the online form found at this URL.
- All correctly completed entries will be entered into a prize draw which will take place on 9 November. The first entry drawn at random by an independent person will be the winner/s.
- The prize is a signed copy of Love by Roddy Doyle and a year's subscription to Beer52. The prize is non-transferrable and no cash alternative will be offered.
- Events may occur which render the awarding of the prize impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the promoter and the promoter may, at its absolute discretion, vary, amend, suspend or withdraw the prize with or without notice.
- The winner will be notified email within 7 days of the closing date (i.e. by 16 November 2020). The winner(s) must claim their prize within 30 days of the promoter sending notification. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and the promoter reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules.
- We will make the winner’s name and county available on request to the following email address email@example.com (please state the name of the competition in the subject heading 10 weeks after the closing date). If you do not want your name and county to be made available in the event that you win, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note we are required to make the winner’s details available to the ASA if requested.
- Promoter may disqualify any entrant whose entry does not comply with these terms and conditions (in promoter’s sole opinion) or who, in promoter’s sole determination, has acted in a manner that is fraudulent, dishonest or unjust to other entrants including, without limitation, tampering with the operation of the competition, manipulating or rigging votes, hacking, deceiving, using multiple email addresses to submit multiple entries, cheating or by harassing or threatening other entrants, the panel or a representative of promoter
- The promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into in relation to the competition.
- These terms and conditions are subject to English Law and the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
- The promoter’s contact details are: The Random House Group Limited, 20 Vauxhall Bridge Road, London SW1V 2SA.