Did you know literary critic Cyril Connolly once used a raw rasher of bacon as a bookmark? It is a story that has been imprinted on our brains since we first heard about it, from Tom Nicholson this time last year. We can’t imagine it’s vegan-friendly. Won’t it leave a mark? It can’t get any more unusual. Or can it?
Inspired, we asked our Twitter followers: what’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever used as a bookmark?
When it comes to creativity and innovation, you did not disappoint. It seems that just about anything can be fashioned into a useable marker. Between the paperclips, tissue-paper, dried flowers and panty-liners (!) were a couple of slightly more… novel suggestions. Here are a few of our favourites.
1. We admire this level of confidence
2. Is there anything more wholesome than a book hug?
3. When in Rome…
4. Sharing is caring
5. Don't try this at home!
6. See also: train tickets, photographs, handwritten letters...
7. Sometimes you just gotta make do with what you have to hand
8. The important question: Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle?
9. Where’s the lie?
10. This is beautifully meta
12. What kind of reckless abandon…
13. I think we have a winner folks!
Image: Stuart Simpson / Penguin