1. Butterflies and moths are part of the same group of insects, known as ‘Lepidoptera’. To tell them apart, butterflies fly in bright sunshine, while moths are most active at night.
2. The lifecycle of a butterfly is in four stages: egg, caterpillar, pupa and adult butterfly.
3. Most butterflies don’t live very long. The Priam’s birdwing butterfly only lives for 10 days!
4. Butterflies have four wings, not two as you may think.
5. The wings of butterflies and moths, with their vibrant colours and patterns, are actually made up of tiny scales.
6. The largest butterfly in the world is the female Queen Alexandra’s birdwing, with a wingspan of over 25cm!