1. When in doubt, ask for advice.
‘“Mamma will know what to do,” he said to himself.’
Moomintroll – Comet in Moominland
2. You won’t always be the one in the right.
‘But you won't be less disappointed just because other people are right and you are not.’
Tove Jansson – Moominland Midwinter
3. It’s important to be able to rely on yourself.
‘“One has to discover everything for oneself,” she replied. “And get over it all alone.”’
Too-ticky – Moominland Midwinter
4. Fear is the secret to having courage.
‘For if you’re not afraid how can you really be brave?’
Tove Jansson – The Exploits of Moominpappa
5. Make time to take care of the ones you love.
‘He lay for a while wondering whether he'd be ill a little longer and have Moominmamma nurse him a little more. But then he decided that it would be nicer still to take care of Moominmamma himself.’
Moomintroll – Moominland Midwinter
6. And although love and admiration are good, too much can be harmful.
‘“You can’t ever be really free if you admire somebody too much, I know.”’
Snufkin – Tales From Moominvalley
7. Embrace the simple things in life.
‘There's nothing as lovely as being comfortable and nothing is so simple.’
Tove Jansson – Moominvalley in November
8. Don’t ever feel guilty about doing nothing.
‘Now I'm full of ferocity, she thought. I could do anything, but instead, I'll do nothing. Isn't it marvellous to do just what one feels like?’
Mymble – Moominvalley in November
9. It’s hard but having patience is important.
‘“It takes a long time sometimes," she said, "It can take a terrible long time before things sort themselves out.”’
Moominmamma – Moominpappa at Sea
10. Be respectful but do stand your ground.
‘“I have every respect for your deductions, but you are wrong, completely and absolutely, and without any doubt.”’
The Muskrat – Finn Family Moomintroll
11. And if you’re only going to follow one piece of Moomin advice, let it be this…
‘“The main thing in life is to know your own mind.”’
Snufkin – Moominsummer Madness
In Richard Adams’ iconic novel Watership Down, a small band of rabbits leave their warren to find a new and safer home. Despite facing many challenges along the way, Hazel, Bigwig, Fiver and the others take on the vast and strange world with courage and wisdom. Here are 12 of the most thought-provoking quotes from the book.
From tales about climate change and the secrets of the universe to thrilling adventures across the sea, look out for these children’s books in 2020. Jump to: Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov