In her groundbreaking, award-winning book Invisible Women, Caroline Criado Perez shows how the data on which we design and build our world – from car safety and drugs testing to town planning and government policy – is biased in favour of men. We systematically ignore data about women (51% of the population) and, in doing so, make their lives harder and even endanger them.
To celebrate paperback publication and International Women’s Day, we have joined forces with the team at Leon, long-time fans of Caroline’s work, to offer one lucky reader the chance to win a signed copy of the book and a Leon gift card worth £112.20 – that’s the value of 51 coffees to represent the 51% of the population whose lives Invisible Women seeks to improve.
This competition has now closed, thanks to everyone who entered.
Terms and Conditions
1. No purchase necessary to enter the online prize draw.
2. This prize draw is open to UK residents aged 18 years or over, with the exception of employees of the Promoter, their families, agents and anyone else connected with this promotion.
3. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach the Promoter by the relevant closing date for any reason. Proof of posting or sending is not proof of receipt. Automatically generated entries and entries via agents or third parties are invalid and will not be counted.
4. Only one entry per person.
5. The potential winner may be required to provide Promoter with proof that he/she is the authorised account holder of the user name/account associated with the winning entry.
6. The Promoter cannot be held responsible for non-receipt of entries due to technical problems or network difficulties.
7. All correctly completed entries received by the closing date of 16 March 2020 will be entered into a prize draw, which will take place by 19 March 2020.
8. One winner will be drawn at random and notified via email shortly thereafter.
9. The winner will have 14 days to confirm acceptance of their prize otherwise the Promoter reserves the right to reallocate the prize to a reserve winner.
10. The prize for each winner is a paperback copy of Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez and a Leon gift card worth £112.20.
11. The winner will be notified of their prize by VINTAGE.
12. By taking part in the Promotion, the winner acknowledges that they may be required to take part in relevant publicity without further consent or payment. Such publicity may include, without limitation, the winners’ name and/or image, statements made by the winner concerning the Promotion and/or prizes obtained as part of the Promotion.
13. Prizes are subject to availability. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the Promoter reserves the right (a) to substitute alternative prizes (b) in exceptional circumstances to amend or foreclose the promotion without notice. No correspondence will be entered into.
14. The Promoter will use any data submitted by entrants only for the purposes of running the prize draw, unless otherwise stated in the entry details. By entering this prize draw, all entrants consent to the use of their personal data by the Promoter for the purposes of the administration of this prize draw and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented.
15. Promoter may disqualify any entrant whose entry does not comply with these terms and conditions (in Promoter’s sole opinion) or who, in Promoter’s sole determination, has acted in a manner that is fraudulent, dishonest or unjust to other entrants including, without limitation, tampering with the operation of the prize draw, manipulating or rigging votes, hacking, deceiving, cheating or by harassing or threatening other entrants or a representative of Promoter.
16. By entering the prize draw each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
17. The Promoter is VINTAGE at Penguin Random House Limited, 20 Vauxhall Bridge Road, London SW1V 2SA.
18. These terms and conditions are governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.