We're thrilled to be publishing Call Us What We Carry, the breakout poetry collection by Amanda Gorman. Including 'The Hill We Climb,' the stirring poem read at the inauguration of the 46th President of the United States, Joe Biden, this luminous poetry collection by Amanda Gorman captures a shipwrecked moment in time and transforms it into a lyric of hope and healing.
In Call Us What We Carry, Gorman explores history, language, identity, and erasure through an imaginative and intimate collage. Harnessing the collective grief of a global pandemic, these seventy poems shine a light on a moment of reckoning and reveal that Gorman has become our messenger from the past, our voice for the future.
To celebrate publication, we're offering five lucky readers the chance to win a very limited edition signed bookplate copy of Call Us What We Carry.
To be in with a chance of winning, please fill out the form below. Competition closes on Friday 17 December 2021 at 23.59pm. UK only.
FREE PRIZE DRAW TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1) By entering this free prize draw, you agree to accept and be bound by these terms and conditions. All entry instructions form part of the terms & conditions of this prize draw.
2) This free prize draw is open to anyone aged 18 or over who is a resident of the UK except for employees of The Random House Group Limited (promoter), Penguin Books Limited its subsidiary companies, their families and any other company connected with the prize draw.
3) Entries must be received by Friday 17 December 2021 at 23:59 GMT. Entries that are illegible, incomplete, corrupted or which fail to be received by the closing date for any reason, will not be counted. The promoter is not responsible for entries delayed or lost in the post. Automatically generated entries or entries via agents or third parties are invalid and shall not be counted.
4) Only one entry per person. No entrant may win more than one prize.
5) To enter fill in your details on the online form above. All correctly completed entries will be entered into a prize draw which will take place on Monday 20 December 2021. The first five entries drawn at random by an independent person will be the winner.
6) The prize for one winner is 1 x signed hardback of Call Us What We Carry by Amanda Gorman. The prize is non-transferrable and no cash alternative will be offered.
7) Prizes are subject to availability. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, or any change of circumstances relating to the Covid-19 pandemic assessed by the Promoter as adversely affecting fulfilment of the prize in any way, the Promoter reserves the right (a) to substitute alternative prizes as determined by the Promoter at its sole discretion provided that the total monetary value of any alternative prize(s) is equivalent to or greater than that of the original prize; and (b) in exceptional circumstances to amend or foreclose the promotion without notice. No correspondence will be entered into.
8) The winner will be notified by within 5 days of the closing date (i.e. by 22 December 2021). The winner(s) must claim their prize within 5 days of the promoter sending notification. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and the promoter reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules.
9) Other than those specified above, the promoter shall not be liable for any costs or expenses arising out of or in any way connected with this prize and does not accept any responsibility for any damage, loss or disappointment suffered by the winner as result of accepting th
11) We will make the winner’s name and county available on request to the following email address email@example.com please state the name of the competition in the subject heading 10 weeks after the closing date). If you do not want your name and county to be made available in the event that you win, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note we are required to make the winner’s details available to the ASA if requested.
12) Promoter may disqualify any entrant whose entry does not comply with these terms and conditions (in promoter’s sole opinion) or who, in promoter’s sole determination, has acted in a manner that is fraudulent, dishonest or unjust to other entrants including, without limitation, tampering with the operation of the competition, manipulating or rigging votes, hacking, deceiving, using multiple accounts to submit multiple entries. cheating or by harassing or threatening other entrants, the panel or a representative of promoter
13) The promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into in relation to the competition.
14) These terms and conditions are subject to English Law and the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
15) The promoter’s contact details are: The Random House Group Limited, 20 Vauxhall Bridge Road London SW1V 2SA.